Sunday 19 May 2013

I Am Slave.

Film: I Am Slave.
Director: Gabriel Range.

An unexpected film that popped up in the trailers before Welcome To The Rileys. It is a fantastic, hard hitting film.

The contrast between Malia's life with her father, Bah, and her life in London and the Sudan as a slave is shown constantly throughout the film, showing snippets of her life before she was taken and of the beginning of her imprisonment. Her father still looks for her years after she was taken in the hopes of seeing and finding her.

My favourite scene was the final few minutes of the film where Malia gets help from her "brother" and she escapes. The short conversation between Malia and her "master" in London tugs at the heartstrings and although we feel some sympathy for the lady of the house its nowhere near as strong as the wish for Malia to escape.
When she manages to get into contact with her father over the phone the single word spoken is "Daddy?" which is utterly heart-breaking and you can't help but well up.

Overall, I'd give I Am Slave: 10/10.

I would recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment